Elon said recently the intent of the new roadster is to “beat gas sports cars on every performance metric by far” So, of course, I had to dig into the data. Join our community and get invites to special events at https://teslanomics.co/join
// Buyin a Tesla? Get Free Supercharging before July 15th, 2018 on any new S or X – https://teslanomics.co/td
Elon’s Tweet – https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005784176950370305
Before we get into the details let’s go over our categories…
* For these figures are all the “peak” values that are relative to the engine or motor RPM
* And depending on things like the gear ratio these numbers can change providing different levels of acceleration
* All that is to say, until we get all of these cars on the track, these figures are just that, figures, not real-world tests
What is torque?
– Torque is force at a distance
– Torque represents how much work can be done
What is Horsepower?
– Horsepower is the rate at which work can be done
Horsepower v Toruqe:
– A car with 1000hp and 500lb-ft of torque will be faster than a car with 500hp and 1000lb-ft of torque
But there’s more to the story…
* Jason Fenske over at Engineering Explained likes to say that horsepower is – https://www.youtube.com/user/EngineeringExplained/search?query=tesla+roadster
// How to Measure Performance
* Top Speed
Other Factors We’ll consider
// New here? Check out more
Most Recent Video – https://goo.gl/k3pWlt
Most Popular Video – https://goo.gl/jydACR
Subscribe – https://goo.gl/tPDO7v
// Shoot me a msg online
// My Gear
Camera – https://kit.com/teslanomicsco/camera-gear
Model 3 Essentials – https://kit.com/teslanomicsco/tesla-model-3-essentials
// Music by Epidemic Sound
This video and channel are not affiliated with Tesla nor did they endorse this specific production.
// Tesla Roadster 2.0 (tesla.com)
– Acceleration 0-60 mph 1.9 sec
– Acceleration 0-100 mph 4.2 sec
– Acceleration 1/4 mile 8.8 sec
– Top Speed Over 250 mph
– Wheel Torque 10,000 Nm
– Mile Range 620 miles
– Seating 4
– All-Wheel Drive
– Base Price $200,000
– Base Reservation $50,000
– Founders Series Price $250,000
– Founders Series Reservation (1,000 reservations available) $250,000
Designed for Performance and Aero Efficiency. As an all-electric supercar, Roadster maximizes the potential of aerodynamic engineering—with record-setting performance and efficiency.
The first supercar to set every performance record and still fit seating for four.
A lightweight, removable Glass Roof stores in the trunk for an open-air, convertible driving experience.
Learn more at https://www.tesla.com/roadster
// History of Tesla Roadster (2020)
In 2011, at the end of the production run of the original Tesla Roadster, Elon Musk suggested that a new version of the Roadster, without the Lotus chassis, would return to production by 2014. The new Roadster was first teased in 2014.
In 2015, Musk suggested a new Roadster in 2019, capable of faster acceleration. A tweet by Elon Musk in December 2016 reconfirmed a second Roadster was in the works, but still “some years away”. The second Roadster was designed by Franz von Holzhausen.
The 2020 version of the Roadster was shown as a surprise at the end of the Tesla Semi event on November 16, 2017—during which a Roadster was driven out of the back of one of the semi-truck trailers to the song “Sabotage”. Musk explained the concept as: “The point of doing this is to give a smackdown to gasoline cars. Driving a gasoline sports car is going to feel like a steam engine with a side of quiche.” The car will retail for upward of $200,000; test rides were given at the event for those who immediately paid the first $5,000 of a $50,000 deposit to pre-order the vehicle. Additional information followed after the teaser, such as the various world-record speeds Tesla said it will break.
In June 2018, Elon Musk revealed a possible “SpaceX” package for the Roadster. This would add cold gas thrusters to the car to improve maneuverability; it would comprise an electric pump to recharge an air tank used to provide compressed air flowing through propelling nozzles to generate a jet thrust. The air tank, also called “composite overwrapped pressure vessel” (COPV), would replace the back seats under this option package, and add 10 thrusters. The thrusters would be used to improve cornering, acceleration, top speed, and braking.